Jaxon Joseph “For the Love of the Game” Award
The Jaxon Joseph “For the Love of the Game” Memorial Scholarship is focused on those students, male or female, who deeply love the game of hockey, who love and demonstrate the teamwork that goes along with the sport, and to those who additionally support the communities that support the player. The criteria for selection are as follows:
- A student in the last year of his or her high school program at Paul Kane High School – currently referred to as a “Grade 12 Student:”
- The student must:
- Have maintained an academic standing of 70% or more throughout high school
- Demonstrate a commitment to the community through participation of service, leadership or volunteerism
- Participate in hockey within and/or outside of his or her school and be: A dedicated team player who demonstrates leadership qualities and a persistent desire to improve as a hockey player and a person who demonstrates a genuine love for the game of hockey.
3. Applicants must submit all of the following:
- A short essay or video message (maximum of 5 minutes) demonstrating how they meet the above noted paragraphs 1 and 2 of this criteria;
- A letter of reference from a coach or assistant coach of one of more of the hockey teams on which the student participates;
- A copy of the applicant’s high school transcript; and
- Verification of acceptance from the Qualified Post-Secondary School the applicant has chosen to attend.
Background: Jaxon had a true passion for the game of hockey. It started very young and never wavered.
Through all the ups and downs of being a hockey player Jaxon continued to arrive at the rink with a smile on his face. He truly enjoyed all the times in the dressing room, riding the bus, or just hanging out with team-mates. Jaxon was the happiest when he was with “the boys”.
Jaxon carried with him a strong sense of competition and drive to be better each and every time he practiced or played. Although he didn’t always make the top AAA team, he continued with determination and the desire to push his game to the next level with the ultimate goal to play NCAA Division One hockey.
Jaxon never gave up on his dream because of his “Love of the Game”.
The Jaxon Joseph “For the Love of the Game” Memorial Scholarship is focused on those players who deeply love the game of hockey, who love and demonstrate the teamwork that goes along with the sport, and to those who additionally support the communities that support the player.