Conner Lukan “Tighten Your Skates” Award
The Conner Lukan Memorial “Tighten Your Skates” scholarship will be awarded annually to a deserving applicant who is planning to pursue a career as an Athletic Therapist, Physiotherapist, or a related-career that helps heal the body. The criteria for this award are as follows:
- A student in the last year of his or her high school program at Paul Kane High School, Bellerose High School or St. Albert High School – currently referred to as a “Grade 12 Student:”
- The student must:
- Pursue post-secondary studies in any of the following fields:
i. Athletic therapist
iii. Another field that will lead to a career to help heal the human body.
- Have maintained an academic standing of 70% or more throughout high school and that would allow him or her to be accepted into any of the above noted fields of study.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the community through participation of service leadership or volunteerism.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and qualities.
- Participate in hockey within and/or outside of his or her school.
3. Applicants must submit all of the following:
- A short essay or video message (maximum of 5 minutes) demonstrating how they meet the above noted paragraphs 1 and 2 of this criteria
- A letter of reference from a coach or assistant coach of one of more of the hockey teams on which the student participates
- A copy of the applicant’s high school transcript
- Verification of acceptance from the Qualified Post-Secondary School the applicant has chosen to attend for study in one of the fields noted in paragraph 2. of the criteria.
Background: Every summer Conner Lukan would return home to Slave Lakes and train for hours. If you wanted to find him, he was always at the gym, running down our dirt road beside the lake or biking all over Wildewater.
Conner was very dedicated and committed to his training regimen. He always wanted to be faster, stronger and ready to play. Conner’s desire to be the best player he could be was very evident to others around him. A true leader, Connors always led by example and was an inspiration to his team-mates.
The Conner Lukan Memorial “Tighten Your Skates” Scholarship will be awarded annually to a deserving applicant who is planning to pursue a career as an Athletic Therapist, Physiotherapist, or a related-career that helps heal the body.